Kid’s Chance Qualifications
1. Injury: Resulting in death or permanent and total disability; arising out of employment for an Oregon employer covered by Oregon workers’ compensation, including employees of the City of Portland Bureaus of Fire and Police, without dispute regarding compensability of the death or total disability.
2. Effect: As death or the permanent and total disability of a parent or guardian, by definition, impacts the family’s income, standard of living, and the opportunities available to a dependent; documented proof of such financial impacts and lost opportunities will not be required. Applicants will be required to provide a written statement of their need, describing the circumstances of need, and how a scholarship will assist.
3. Age: Sixteen (16) through twenty-five (25) at the time a scholarship is awarded.
4. Purpose: Open to full or part time students; to assist with the funding of high school or GED, college (undergraduate and graduate school), junior-community college, or trade-technical-vocational school or apprentice program related expenses, tuition, books, housing, fees, meal plans, or transportation. Scholarships will be paid directly to the institution consistent with the institution’s instructions and protocol; in the case of an apprenticeship, the funds may be paid directly to the recipient.
5. Application (documentation): Application form completed; official copies of high school or post-high school grades; one or more letters of recommendation; authorization to obtain verification of the compensable death or permanent and total disability from workers’ compensation and/or the State of Oregon; verification the applicant is the natural, adopted, step-child or dependent of an Oregon covered worker consistent with ORS Chapter 656; verification of admission and/or enrollment in school; verification the applicant meets the requirements of the institution or program, or verification of good standing in an Oregon registered apprenticeship. KC is an equal opportunity organization awarding scholarships without consideration of gender, sexual orientation, race, religion, nationality, ethnic origin, or disability.
6. Period: Open application throughout year, but application must be filed at least two months before the scholarship is needed. The KC’s Board or awards committee will meet quarterly/periodically to determine scholarship recipients. The scholarship will be awarded for a specific period. Each scholarship requires an application and verification of eligibility; a qualified applicant may reapply as needed.
Kids’ Chance of Oregon, Inc. is a non-profit organization established to provide post-secondary scholarships to dependent children of workers that have been killed or seriously injured in a compensable work-related accident or occupational disease with an Oregon employer. Scholarships are awarded twice a year and students may apply every year they attend classes. Current annual scholarship amounts range varies.
- Applicant must be between the ages of 16 – 25 years old
- Applicant must be the child or legal dependent of a worker killed or permanently and totally disabled in a compensable work-related accident or occupational disease with an Oregon employer.
- Student applicant and/or deceased/injured worker are not required to be a legal resident of Oregon.
- Applicant must be enrolled, accepted or applying for acceptance as a full-time or part-time student at a university, college or technical school or Oregon registered apprentice program.
- Academic achievement, aptitude and community service of the applicant are considered.
- Documentation Required:
- A completed Kids’ Chance of Oregon Scholarship Application
- Transcript of most recent grades
- Student Account Statement from the university, college, technical school, apprentice program or high school Applicant plans to attend
- Documentation of compensability that the injury or death of the parent or guardian was determined to be an Oregon covered injury or death.
- Essay/Statement Regarding Needs and Goals
- Letter(s) of Recommendation
All decisions are at the discretion of the Board of Directors of Kids’ Chance of Oregon, Inc.
1. Complete and submit application, along with all supporting documents and return by mail or electronically to:
Kids’ Chance of Oregon, Inc.
Attn: Scholarship Committee
P.O. Box 1728
Lake Oswego, Oregon 97035
A completed application includes: (a) This Form; (b) An Essay; (c) Letters of Recommendation; (d) Release allowing Kid’s Chance of Oregon to obtain verification of the Oregon covered death or permanent and total disability; (e) Transcript and/or Letter of Good Standing sent to Kid’s Chance of Oregon.
2. Kid’s Chance of Oregon, Inc. will do a preliminary review of all applications for completeness. If your application is incomplete, you will be contacted and asked to provide the missing information.
3. The Kids’ Chance of Oregon, Inc. Scholarship Committee will review all complete applications and will verify the eligibility of each Applicant.
4. Kids’ Chance Board of Directors will review all applications and the recommendations made by the Scholarship Committee and make a final determination regarding the scholarships to be awarded.
5. Kids’ Chance of Oregon will then notify the applicant of his/her award and how to obtain the awarded scholarship funds.
6. Scholarships are awarded periodically and subject to enrollment documentation.